Friday, March 6, 2009

QUOTABLE QUOTES

QUOTABLE QUOTES
Various

Babies don’t speak.  Neither do the dearly departed.  But many of those laboring to make sense of life in between those two mileposts have a lot of wisdom-and a little foolishness, too-to share about the path through life.

Nothing separates the generations more than music.  By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes. (Bill Cosby)

The deepest definition of youth is life as yet untouched by tragedy. (Alfred Lord Whitehead)

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future. (Franklin D. Roosevelt)

Your children need your presence more than your presents. (Jesse Jackson)

In case you’re worried about what’s going to become of the younger generation, it’s going to grow up and start worrying about the younger generation.  (Roger Allen)

If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. (Abigail Van Buren)

I was asked why I did not give a rod with which to fish, in the hands of the poor, rather than give the fish itself as this makes them remain poor.  So I told them:  The people whom we pick up are not able to stand with a rod.  So today, I will give them fish and when they are able to stand, then I shall send them to you and you can give them the rod.  That is your job.  Let me do my homework today.  (Mother Theresa)

Age is a question of mind over matter.  If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.  (Satchel Paige)

Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art. (Eleanor Roosevelt)

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age.  (Lucille Bell)

Men do no quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing. (Oliver Wendell Holmes)

And in the end, it’s not the years in your life that count.  It’s the life in your years.  (Abraham Lincoln)

My doctor recently told me that jogging could add years to my life.  I think he was right.  I feel ten years older already.  Milton Berle)

First you forget names, then you forget faces.  Next you forget to pull your zipper up and finally, you forget to pull it down.  George Burns)

I’ll see a beautiful girl walking up to me and I’ll think, Oh, my God, I can’t believe my good luck.  But then she’ll say, “Where’s your son?” or “My mother loves you.” (James Caan)

You know you’re getting old when all the names in your black book have  M.D. after them.  (Arnold Palmer)

It’s no longer a question of staying healthy.  It’s a question of finding a sickness you like.  Jackie Mason)

You can judge your age by the amount of pain you feel when you come in contact with a new idea. (Pearl S. Buck)

I look better, feel better, make love better and I’ll tell you, something else…I never lied better.  (George Burns)

Gray hair is God’s graffiti.  (Bill Cosby)

You know you’re getting old when you get that one candle on the cake.  It’s like, “See if you can blow this out.”  (Jerry Seinfeld)

My grandmother started walking five miles a day when she was sixty.  She’s ninety seven now, and we don’t know where the hell sghe is.  (Ellen DeGeneres)

If you live long enough, the venerability factor creeps in; first, you get accused of things you never did, and later, credited for virtues you never had. (I.F. Stone)

A man who correctly guesses a woman’s age may be smart, but he’s not very bright.  (Lucille Ball)

At my age flowers scare me.  (George Burns)

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.  (Vernon Sanders Law)

There are really three types of people: those who make things happen, those who watch things happen, and those who say, “What happened?”  (Ann Landers)

It’s easier to go down the hill than up it but the view is much better at the top.  (Henry Ward Beecher)

Failure is unimportant.  It takes courage to make a fool of yourself.  (Charlie Chaplin)

The trouble with so many of us is that we underestimate the power of simplicity.  We have a tendency, it seems, to over complicate our lives and forget what’s important and what’s not.  We tend to mistake movement for achievement.  We tend to focus on activities instead of results.  And as the pace of life continues to race along in the outside world, we forget that we have the power to control our lives regardless of what’s going on outside.  (Robert Stuberg)

Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired. (Robert Frost)

We are almost alive when we’re in love. (John Updike)

Love is an act of endless forgiveness, a tender look which becomes a habit. (Peter Ustinov)

You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you have truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love. (Henry Drummond)

No comments:

Post a Comment